Hey dessert fans! You'll love this easy vegan peach crisp recipe! It's got a wonderful buttery and nutty crisp topping and an irresistible filling of juicy peaches. You need just 15 minutes of prep time and only 9 ingredients.
This is such a brilliant dessert. It's the best peach crisp I've ever tried and it's really simple to make!
We adapted the recipe from our popular Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Crisp and I daresay this crisp is even better with its sticky and sweet peach filling. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
This easy peach crisp is:
- Vegan and dairy-free
- Easily made gluten-free
- Crunchy & nutty
- Simple to prepare
- And oh so delicious!
All you need is 9 simple ingredients to make this yummy peach crisp:
All purpose flour or oat flour - This is the base of the delicious streusel topping. We often make it gluten-free by using oat flour. If necessary, use certified gluten-free flour.
Vegan butter - For optimal results, use a stick or block of butter with an 80% fat content. Flora Plant Butter is a favorite of ours.
Light brown sugar - We favor brown sugar for the crumble topping which gives it a darker, more caramelly flavor. Not all US sugar is vegan, choose organic or vegan-certified to be sure.
Oats - We use rolled or old-fashioned oats. If necessary, ensure that yours are GF certified. Steel-cut oats are not suitable, but quick cook oats can be used.
Pecans - These give texture and a rich taste. We love pecans because they naturally go so well with peaches, but you can use other nuts, for example almonds, walnuts, or pistachios.
Cinnamon - Just a dash of cinnamon adds warmth. We prefer to add cinnamon to the topping, and not to the peaches, so that their fresh flavor comes through.
Peaches - You can use any type of peaches (or nectarines) in this recipe.
In the summer it's perfect for ripe and fresh peaches. Canned or frozen peaches can also be used to enjoy this crisp at any time of year!
Canned peaches should be drained and frozen peaches thawed.
Granulated sugar - sweetens the filling. Again use an organic or vegan brand if you are in the US.
TOP TIP: Because peaches can vary so much in sweetness, we recommend tasting them and adjusting the sugar in the filling to taste and your sweetness preference. Peaches that have been canned in syrup will be sweeter and need less sugar, whereas underripe peaches or store-bought frozen peach slices often require more sugar.
Cornstarch helps to thicken the peach juices into a delicious syrup.
We personally don't peel peaches as we like the convenience, extra fiber, and color you get from leaving the skin on.
However, you can peel them if you prefer! Boil the peaches in water for around 30 seconds. Remove them using a slotted spoon and plunge them into an ice bath. When cool, you can easily slide the peach skin off.
Step by step pictures
Here's how to make this amazing vegan peach crisp. Full detailed recipe and quantities are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Step 1 - Combine flour, brown sugar, vegan butter, oats, and cinnamon. Use your hands or a pastry cutter to mix until you have a rough mixture with no loose flour.
Step 2 - Chop the pecans and stir them into the crumble topping.
Step 3 - Slice peaches and combine with granulated sugar and cornstarch.
Step 4 - Cover the peaches with the oaty crisp topping.
Step 5 - Bake at 350℉ / 180℃ for 40 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Substitutions and variations
Here's some fun ways you can vary the flavor of this fruit crisp:
- Add the zest of half an orange or a lemon to the peaches for a citrusy twist.
- Add ¼ teaspoon nutmeg to the crumbly topping.
- Swap out some of the peaches for an equal amount plums, apples or mango.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the filling for more flavor.
- Add 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger for some fieriness.
- Add 1 cup of berries, such as blueberries or raspberries, and add an additional tablespoon of cornstarch to help bind the extra juice.
Refined sugar-free: Replace the light brown sugar in the topping with coconut sugar. Leave out the added sugar in the filling, or use maple syrup.
Gluten-free: For a vegan gluten-free peach crisp make sure to use GF-certified oat flour and gluten-free oats. You can make oat flour from oats by processing them in a blender or food processor until you have a fine and powdery texture. Sift with a strainer to remove any unblended bits.
Nut-free: The pecans can be left out or replaced with more oats, coconut flakes, pepitas, or sunflower seeds.
This fruit crisp is fabulous served warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Vegan whipped cream or vegan yogurt is also a nice summery addition.
We also enjoy leftover peach crisp cold for breakfast!
Store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Reheating: Enjoy leftovers cold, or reheat individual portions in the microwave until heated through. To reheat a larger portion, place in the oven at 350°F / 180°C until heated through and cover if the top is becoming too dark.
Crisp can be frozen before or after baking.
Freeze before baking: Assemble as usual in a freezer-friendly dish, and then cover with a lid or wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw it in the fridge overnight, then proceed with baking as in the recipe.
Freeze after baking: Allow the cooked crisp to cool to room temperature, before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and foil and freezing it for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge before baking at 350°F / 180°C until heated through (around 20 minutes).
It's also really convenient to make a big batch of the topping and store it in an airtight container in the freezer.
This delicious dessert is featured in 33 Vegan Fruit Desserts (Delicious Recipes You'll LOVE!)
For more peachy recipes, try our:
Vegan Peach Cobbler with an easy vegan cobbler topping
Vegan Peach Crumble with a tangy, lemony and spiced filling
Vegan Peach Crisp
- 4-5 large peaches 4 cups or 580g
- 1-4 tablespoons granulated sugar adjust to sweetness of peaches
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Make crisp topping in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, oats, diced vegan butter, light brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter, a fork, or your hands, combine until you have a rough mixture with no loose flour. It's ok to have some small chunks of butter in the crisp mixture.¾ cup (95 g) all purpose flour, ¾ cup (60 g) oats, ½ cup (110 g) vegan butter, ½ cup (100 g) light brown sugar, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Roughly chop pecans and stir into crisp topping.½ cup (60 g) pecans
- Prepare peaches. Peel if desired, then slice in half, remove pit and cut into slices.4-5 large peaches
- Make peach filling directly in a 8 x 8 inch (20cm) baking dish, by stirring together sliced peaches, granulated sugar (to taste) and cornstarch.1-4 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Spread crisp mixture evenly on top of the peaches.
- Bake at 350℉ / 180℃ for 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the peach mixture is bubbling and looks thickened.
- Serve warm and enjoy, with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream!