Let's make a nutritious vegan chocolate peanut butter protein smoothie bowl! This easy-to-make smoothie bowl recipe is the perfect treat for any time of day and can be easily customized with all your favorite toppings.
This chocolate smoothie bowl is:
- Vegan and dairy free
- Gluten-free (as long as your protein powder and toppings are GF)
- And protein-packed!
You only need these 5 simple ingredients:
Bananas: I recommend frozen bananas as the base of your smoothie bowl for a thick and creamy consistency. Use overripe bananas for extra natural sweetness.
Protein powder: Use your favorite brand of vegan protein powder. If you don't have chocolate flavored you can use vanilla protein powder and add cocoa powder. If you are using an unsweetened protein powder you may wish to add a sweetener of your choice to taste.
Non-dairy milk: Use unsweetened almond milk or oat milk or any plant-based milk that you like. Using less milk will give a thicker, soft serve ice cream like consistency.
Nut butter: I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, but you can use almond or cashew butter too. If you can't have nuts, try sun butter or tahini!
Ground flaxseeds: These bring an extra nutritional boost.
Step by step pictures
Here's how to make this chocolate protein powder smoothie bowl. Full detailed recipe and quantities are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Step 1 - Add frozen banana slices, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, ground flaxseed, and unsweetened non-dairy milk to a blender.
Step 2 - Blend on high until smooth and thick, and adjust with extra non-dairy milk to reach your desired consistency.
Step 3 - Pour into a bowl and top with toppings of your choice.
To make your smoothie bowl extra thick and creamy, use a high-powered blender and add less liquid. This will create a thicker consistency that's perfect for topping with your favorite ingredients.
Here are some delicious and healthy toppings for your chocolate protein smoothie bowl:
- Fresh berries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Goji berries
- Sliced banana
- Hemp seeds
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Coconut flakes
- Granola (try this easy recipe)
- Sliced almonds
- Toasted hazelnuts
- Nut butter
- Dark chocolate chips or shavings
- Cacao nibs
Feel free to mix and match these toppings to create your perfect combination. Don't be afraid to get creative and add your favorite toppings to make your smoothie bowl even more delicious and satisfying!
Serve your vegan chocolate peanut butter smoothie bowl immediately after making it, topped with your favorite ingredients.
This recipe can make one large smoothie bowl or two smaller bowls!
Smoothie bowls are best enjoyed fresh, but you can store any leftovers (ideally without the toppings) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
The smoothie may separate over time, so give it a good stir before serving
Chocolate Protein Smoothie Bowl
- In a high-speed blender, combine frozen banana slices, peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, ground flaxseed, and the lower amount of non-dairy milk.1 ½ cups banana, 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 6 tablespoons vegan chocolate protein powder, ½ - ¾ cup non-dairy milk, 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Cover and blend on high until smooth and thick, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add as much of the remaining non-dairy milk as you like, and blend again until it reaches your preferred thickness.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with toppings as desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!