Let's make some yummy walnut shortbread cookies! They're rich, delicious and easy to make.
If you're looking for small cookies that are perfect for sharing at a cookie exchange this recipe is for you!
I adore baking a variety of cookies for the holiday season and the walnut shortbreads are always a hit.
They are also delicious enjoyed at any time of year with a cup of tea or coffee.
These slice and bake cookies are:
- Vegan and dairy-free
- And caramelly
You only need 7 simple ingredients for these cookies:
This recipe uses all-purpose flour, and we haven't tested it with gluten-free flour or other types of flour.
Brown sugar brings a delicious caramel taste and rich color. Choose an organic or vegan-certified brand to avoid bone char in the processing.
If you don't have any brown sugar, you can easily make your own with white sugar and molasses.
Coconut oil should be in its solid form but slightly softened to make it easier to mix into the dough. Use refined coconut oil if you don't want any hint of coconut flavor.
Walnuts should be finely and evenly chopped for the best results.
Step by step pictures
Here's how to make these delicious cookies. Full detailed recipe and quantities are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Step 1 - In a large bowl, combine softened coconut oil with brown sugar and beat with a spatula until soft and well-mixed.
Step 2 - Stir in the vanilla extract.
Step 3 - Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix into a crumbly dough.
Step 4 - Mix in a spoonful or two of water (use just enough for it to stick well together and for the sides of the bowl to be clean).
You can also make the shortbread dough in a food processor to make it easier! First, combine all the ingredients apart from the water and walnuts. Then blend in the water until a dough forms, and finally stir in the finely chopped walnuts.
Step 5 - Stir in the chopped walnuts.
Step 6 - Form the dough into a square log shape, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
Step 7 - Slice the chilled dough log into ¼”/ 6mm thick cookies.
Step 8 - Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
Substitutions and variations
Here's five delicious ways you can vary these shortbread cookies:
- Swap the walnuts for pecan nuts for a pecan sandie-like cookie.
- Add up to 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the dough for a spiced walnut cookie.
- Skip the vanilla extract and instead add half the quantity maple extract for some yummy maple flavor.
- Dip in melted chocolate and then sprinkle with some more chopped nuts.
- Roll the logs in coarse sugar before chilling for extra crunch!
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Freeze cookie dough in log shapes, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and store in a freezer-friendly container for up to three months. Thaw at room temperature until they are easy to slice.
Freeze baked cookies in freezer bags with the air pressed out, for up to 1 month.
Try these other delicious recipes perfect for sharing and gifting:
And discover more amazing treats for your cookie platter in our collection of 50 Delicious Vegan Christmas Cookies Everyone Will Love!
Walnut Shortbread Cookies
- In a large bowl, combine softened coconut oil with brown sugar.¼ cup coconut oil, ½ cup dark brown sugar
- Mix with a spatula or spoon until soft and well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir in.1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until roughly combined.¾ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Stir in just enough cold water until the mixture comes together into a smooth dough.1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Mix in the finely chopped walnuts until evenly incorporated.1 cup walnuts
- Transfer the dough onto a work surface and form it into a log shape 1 ½ inches / 4 cm thick. A square-shaped log makes the cookies easier to slice.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable baking mat.
- Slice the chilled log of dough into ¼ inch / 6mm thick cookies using a sharp knife.
- Place cookies on the baking sheet, leaving a space of at least ¾ inch or 2 cm between them.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until they are golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.