Let's make a yummy lemon mug cake! This simple recipe is the perfect dessert for when you're craving something zesty and sweet.
Mug cakes are one of my go-to desserts in a hurry when those sweet cravings come calling!
This sweet and tart lemon mug cake makes a refreshing change from a vanilla mug cake.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up this delicious lemon cake in a cup in no time!
This easy lemon mug cake recipe is:
- Zesty and tangy
- Vegan, dairy-free and eggless
- Simple and ready to enjoy in under 10 minutes!
Here's what you'll need for this yummy microwave lemon cake in a mug:
Fresh lemon juice tastes best. Choose an organic or unwaxed lemon and finely grate the zest for best results.
Olive oil adds its unique flavor that pairs so well with the tartness of lemon. It also provides richness and moisture, making the cake even more delicious.
Step by step pictures
Here's how to make this eggless and dairy-free lemon mug cake! Full detailed recipe and quantities are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Step 1 - In a jug or bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2 - Add the zest and the wet ingredients - olive oil, almond milk and lemon juice.
Step 3 - Stir with a fork or small whisk until the batter is smooth.
Step 4 - Pour in a greased mug and microwave for 90 seconds - 2 minutes until the batter is fully cooked.
Mug cake top tips!
Use a large enough mug so that the batter doesn't overflow! Mug cakes naturally rise when cooking and fall as they cool.
Measure carefully. Because you are working with such small quantities, it's easy to overmeasure which will affect the taste and texture.
Use measuring spoons to carefully measure and level ingredients, or weigh with kitchen scales for the best accuracy.
Adapt to your microwave. Cooking time will vary depending on the power of your microwave.
Start with the shorter time listed in the recipe, and if it still looks moist through the window of the microwave, add on the extra time. You can also test it with a toothpick to make sure the batter is cooked.
Don't worry about how it looks! Mug cakes don't brown or caramelize like a cake baked in an oven.
It's also natural for the cake to sink down when you take it out. However, it will still taste amazing!
Substitutions and variations
Instead of lemon, you can use the zest and juice for another citrus, like orange or lime for a fun twist.
Instead of almond milk, you can use another dairy-free milk such as oat or soy.
Instead of olive oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, or melted coconut oil will all work.
Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes before you dig in as mug cakes can stay really hot.
This cake is delicious served plain. Or you can:
- Add a dollop of vegan whipped cream on top for extra yumminess!
- Drizzle over some vegan lemon curd for an even more lemony dessert!
- Serve with a handful of fresh berries - blueberries go brilliantly!
- Mix ½ teaspoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar to make a refreshing lemon glaze.
Mug cakes are best enjoyed fresh!
If you do have leftover cake you can store it covered at room temperature for up to 1 day. To reheat, place it in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, but take care not to overheat.
More easy dessert ideas
Vegan Dessert Ideas is home to some amazingly delicious and simple vegan dessert recipes!
Try these next (all of them have five ingredients or less):
Lemon lovers will also want to check out our collection of The 25 Best Vegan Lemon Desserts!
Lemon Mug Cake
- Large Mug 12 oz or 350ml
- In a jug or bowl, combine the dry ingredients.5 tablespoons (38 g) all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons (38 g) organic granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 pinch salt
- Add the lemon zest and the remaining wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.2 ½ tablespoons (38 ml) olive oil, 3 tablespoons (45 ml) almond milk, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Stir with a fork or small whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased large mug and microwave for 90 seconds - 2 minutes until the batter is fully cooked.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes before eating.