Let's make a delicious vegan lemon loaf cake! You'll love this rich lemon bread with its tangy and sweet glaze. This recipe is super easy with just 7 simple ingredients and 10 minutes prep time needed!
I am a huge fan of all things lemony! If you are too, then this is just the recipe for you...
This lemon bread recipe is:
- Vegan, dairy-free and eggless
- Deliciously moist
- And bursting with real lemon flavor!
Here's everything you'll need for this vegan lemon loaf recipe:
Lemons: Use fresh lemon juice for the best taste. You'll also want to finely grate the lemon zest - a fine lemon zester or microplane is the perfect tool to use.
Sugar: Some sugar in the US is processed with bone char. Choose vegan-certified or organic sugar to keep it vegan.
Oat milk: You can substitute the oat milk for your favorite plant-based milk, such as almond milk.
Oil: Any neutral flavored oil will work well in this recipe like avocado oil, grapeseed oil (which we used here), or vegetable oil. You can even use light or mild olive oil for extra rich flavor.
Step by step pictures
Here's how to make this easy vegan lemon loaf: Full detailed recipe and quantities are in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Step 1 - In a medium bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
Step 2 - In a separate bowl combine the oat milk, grapeseed oil, and lemon juice.
Step 3 - Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and the zest of 2 lemons. Gently stir (or fold) until the batter is well incorporated.
Step 4 -
Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350℉ / 180℃ for 55-60 minutes or until done.
Step 5 - Cool the cake for at least 5 minutes in the loaf pan, remove and place it on a cooling rack for about 10 more minutes.
Step 6 - Make the glaze by combining powdered sugar and remaining lemon juice.
Step 7 - Once your loaf is cooled on the cooling rack, spoon the lemon icing onto the top of the bread.
When mixing a vegan cake batter, you only need to gently combine the batter until smooth. Overbeating can lead to a dense texture, as it causes the gluten to overdevelop.
Substitutions and variations
Gluten-free: I haven't tested this recipe with a gluten-free flour blend yet.
If you want to try it, I'd recommend replacing the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Blend that contains xantham gum. Make sure to use a gluten-free non-dairy milk too.
Want to make this a lemon drizzle cake? Make the glaze with granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar. For a crunchy glaze use it cool. If you'd prefer a lemon syrup that soaks into the cake, melt the sugar and lemon juice together in a small saucepan over low-medium heat first.
Use a skewer or toothpick to make holes in the surface of the cake after it comes out of the oven. Pour the drizzle over the top of the cake, and allow the cake to cool in the tin (and that yummy drizzle to sink into the cake!)
Love citrus flavours? You can use a combination of lemon with orange or lime for a fun twist.
Lemon and thyme go together amazingly! For an herbal touch, you can add up to 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped thyme, or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
This cake is perfect enjoyed with a cup of tea or a refreshing glass of ginger kombucha.
It's wonderful plain or paired with fresh berries. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries... It's up to you!
Store: I recommend storing your lemon bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Refrigerating the loaf can dry it out slightly.
Freeze: You can freeze this lemon loaf for up to 3 months by wrapping in first in parchment paper and then placing the loaf in a freezer bag or in plastic wrap. Be sure to add the date to keep track!
Vegan Lemon Loaf
For the cake
For the glaze
- ½ cup (50 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Line a loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.2 cups all-purpose flour, ¾ cup organic granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a separate bowl, combine the oat milk, grapeseed oil, and lemon juice.¾ cup oat milk, ¼ cup grapeseed oil, ⅓ cup lemon juice
- Add the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and add the lemon zest. Using a silicone spatula, gently stir until the batter is smooth.2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F / 180°C for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle and the edges are golden brown.
- Cool your lemon loaf in the pan for at least 5 minutes. Then remove it from the pan and place it on a cooling rack.
For the glaze
- Add the powdered sugar to a bowl then stir in the lemon juice until well combined. The icing should be a little bit thick and not too runny.½ cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- When the loaf is cool, spoon the lemon glaze over the top of the bread.
- Slice the bread and enjoy!